Skip to main content
Full Menu

Other types of grievances

Class size grievances

(See Article 22B7, 22G)

When filing class-size grievances, the member need not sign any individual grievance form. Rather, the chapter leader and the administration must attempt, during the first 10 days of the term, to resolve individual class-size situations. It is expected that during the first 10 school days, the principal will consult and seek assistance from the superintendent and the chapter leader will consult with the UFT district representative to attempt to resolve all class-size problems. Complaints arising at any time during the school year will follow the expedited time frame detailed in the Agreement.

If the principal and chapter leader cannot resolve class-size problems within the school, after the first 10 school days the union may file a demand for arbitration within two school days of their failure to resolve the grievance. You have a right to have access to any computer information (RACL reports, master schedule final reports, etc.) regarding class size. Remember that this information may change on a daily basis, as students are admitted and discharged.

Your district representative will contact you and ask that you provide information regarding how many oversized classes there are in your school on the first day of classes, the sixth day of classes and also on the 10th day. It is very important that you provide this information when requested.

Per session grievances

(See Article 22B2)

Grievances for per-session employees are presented at Step 1 to the head of the particular per-session activity and at Step 2 to the chancellor (by the union). Remember per-session selection, retention or reduction of positions grievances must be filed within two workdays after the employee has knowledge of the act or condition which is the basis of the complaint.

Safety complaints

(See Article 10B)

When there is a complaint by a member that there has been a violation of the safety plan, such grievance is initiated with the principal.

File a Step 1 Safety/Article 10B Complaint.

Salary and leave grievances

(See Article 22B3)

Salary and leave grievances must be filed with the executive director of the Division of Human Resources by the union through the borough office. Remember, salary and leave grievances must be filed within three months after the employee has knowledge of the act or condition which is the basis of the complaint.

Harassment (Special Complaint)

(See Article 23)

Where members believe that persons or groups, including a supervisor, are engaging in a course of harassing conduct, or in acts of intimidation, which are being directed against them, they can file a special complaint under Article 23.

All members availing themselves of this process must keep an anecdotal record of the harassing conduct and give it to their district representative. The UFT borough office will review the log and will process it through the Grievance Department if they believe the complaint can be successfully pursued.

A Special Complaint is not a grievance. The process is different so be sure to discuss it with your district representative if you have any questions.

Professional conciliation

(See Article 24)

Where educational differences related to school-based decisions cannot be resolved, members can file for professional conciliation. The areas of dispute can be related to: curriculum mandates, textbook selections, program offering and scheduling, student testing procedures and appraisal methodology and pedagogical and instructional strategy, technique and methodology.

The UFT can request the assignment of a professional conciliator if the dispute cannot be resolved at the school level. All members should speak with their chapter leader if a dispute arises.