Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

Special Ed and IEPs

If your child is receiving special education services, his or her school program is based on an Individualized Education Program (IEP), which was jointly developed by you, your child's teachers and service providers, assessment professionals and a representative of the school administration. Your child's IEP should reflect the services and supports your child needs to progress in the curriculum, achieve proficiency on assessments and prepare him or her  for college or work.

There are three things you can do to help ensure your child gets the support and attention she or he needs:

  1. Make sure you have a copy of the current IEP.
  2. Make sure each of your child’s teachers and related service providers has a copy of your child’s IEP; and if a paraprofessional works with your child individually or in your child’s classroom, make sure she or he has on-going access to a copy of your child’s IEP and has received an explanation of her or his specific responsibilities (the law requires this).
  3. Together, make sure your child is getting all the support specified in the IEP.

Issues and concerns

The UFT has concerns that school personnel have been under tremendous pressure to move students to less restrictive environments regardless of their readiness or instructional capacity to meet their needs in the new settings.

Here is a checklist for parents to help you determine if your child is receiving the proper services.

If your child is not receiving the services specified in his or her IEP or is not making progress, call our special hotline at 212-701-9499 or file a complaint online. Another resource is the ARISE Coalition, of which the UFT is a member. You can reach them at 212-822-9523 or visit them online at