Teacher Union Day
Teacher Union Day, which is celebrated each year in the fall, commemorates the strike that put the newly formed UFT on the path to being the activist organization that it is today. On this day, we honor the past leaders who inspire us and celebrate the present leaders who continue in their footsteps.
Below are some of the awards given out at the ceremony:
- Charles Cogen Award — Given for outstanding service to the union rendered by a veteran leader.
- David Wittes Award — Given to a person or a group that has shown outstanding courage, dedication and commitment to the ideals of the UFT.
- Jules Kolodny Award — Given to an individual who has shown outstanding leadership and commitment to the trade union movement with years of leadership yet to be fulfilled.
- Sidney Harris Award — Given to an outstanding leader in the area of special education.
- Backer-Scheintaub Award — Given to honor the lives of Gerald Backer and Mildred Scheintaub by encouraging potential new teacher union leaders.
- Audrey Chasen Award — Given in memory of Audrey Chasen, a former teacher mentor in the New York City public schools.
- Marsh/Raimo Award — Given in recognition of political action.
- Albert Lee Smallheiser Award — This award recognizes the work of educators who strive to improve the working conditions of their colleagues.