Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

Understanding your paycheck

It’s important to check your pay stub to be sure you are getting the correct salary with the proper deductions.

To verify that you are getting the right amount on each paycheck, most members (pedagogues & paraprofessionals) should look for the words “REGULAR PAY” and multiply that number by 24 (the total number of pay periods each year). That number should equal the gross amount you expect based on your years of service (salary step) and approved differentials or college credits.

Other titles such as nurses, therapists, education analysts and other H-bank titles are paid bi-weekly instead of semi-monthly, and receive 26 checks annually. They must take their recurring gross, divide by 14 and then multiply by 365 to get their gross annual salary, including their experience differential. That amount does not include their longevities or education differentials if applicable, which must be calculated separately.

If you think your salary is incorrect, talk to your payroll secretary, then check with a salary rep in your UFT borough office.

Common deduction and paystub codes

The city Department of Education (DOE) makes deductions for federal, state and local income taxes, Social Security and other items. Your pay stub will indicate the amount deducted for each item during that pay period and also will show you a cumulative total for the calendar year. Here are some abbreviations for common deductions:

  • HIP or GHI (with no amount)
    You are enrolled in a cost-free health plan.
    If you are paying for additional benefits, such as the GHI Comprehensive Benefits Plan, there would be a charge listed.
    This is a voluntary contribution to support the union’s lobbying and political action program (COPE).
  • TRS 414H
    You are enrolled in the Teachers Retirement System pension plan. The contribution amount is dependent on your date of membership.
    You are enrolled in the Tax-Deferred Annuity Program.
  • TRS 55 PRGM
    Contribution if you are part of the 55/25 retirement plan.
    Additional 55/25 deduction when not enough was taken from original deduction. 
  • COMM (prefix to type of plan)
    Deductions for participating in the DOE's Transit Benefit Program. Employees can enroll, update and cancel their participation through the DOE’s Payroll Employee Self-Service Application website
  • Union Dues
    This allocation funds union services. See more about union dues by job title
  • Flexible Spending Account
    These are pretax deductions for dependent care expenses and uncovered medical costs.
  • UFT Insurance
    You can opt to pay for certain benefits, such as insurance against catastrophic illness, through our state affiliate, New York State United Teachers (NYSUT). Deductions will begin on the 11/15 paycheck and will continue for 20 payments. Call NYSUT Member Benefits at (800) 626-8101 with questions or for additional information. 
  • Tax-deferred Annuity Goal
    This is your annual TDA savings goal.
  • Tax-deferred Annuity Balance
    This is how much is left to save before you reach your annual TDA savings goal.
  • Cumulative Absence Reserve (CAR)
    This shows how many days, hours and minutes you have available in your Cumulative Absence Reserve. Based on the amount of time worked, each employee earns sick leave that can be used as needed for days of illness. 

DOE payroll portal

You can access your salary information, sick day balance and print your pay stubs by accessing a self-service employee system available through the internet. Log on to the payroll portal with your DOE email ID.

Direct deposit

Members must have their paychecks deposited directly into their personal savings or checking account through the department’s Electronic Fund Transfer Program. You can enroll online. Download the form and submit it directly to the department’s Payroll Division with supporting documents.

Problems with your paycheck?

Delays in getting paid? Errors in the payment amount? Call us! The UFT can help you cut through the red tape and resolve paycheck problems with the DOE. Ask to speak with a salary representative.