Chapter leaders and chapter committees have a key role to play in communicating the needs and wishes of faculty and students before decisions are made on the allocation of school funds. You as chapter leader have the contractual right to be consulted by the principal in decisions around the school budget. Article 8C of our union contract gives the chapter leader along with the chapter consultation committee a right to review as well as to provide input into spending decisions.
Budget guides for chapter leaders
- Guide for school budget consultation
The union has put together this guide to help you engage in your school’s budgeting process.
- How to read a budget
This budget tutorial gives you step-by-step instructions for finding and understanding this online budget data posted by the Department of Education.
- Guide for parents to help influence school budgets
This guide is to help parents play a meaningful role in budget decisions at their children’s schools.
More resources for understanding school budgets
- DOE overview on how schools are funded Fiscal Year 2018
- Sample of Galaxy Budget Allocation for K-8 Fiscal Year 2018
- Sample of Galaxy Budget Allocation for High School Fiscal Year 2018
- Chancellor's Regulation B-801 on budget formulation
- Fair Student Funding Glossary Fiscal Year 2018
Important DOE budget documents
- DOE Fair Student Funding and School Budget Resource Guide
- School Allocation Memorandums Fiscal Year 2017- 2018
Find out more information on Fair Student Funding.
- DOE School Allocation Memorandum No. 8 Fiscal Year 2019 - Title 1 School Allocations
- Chancellor's Regulation A-655 on School and District Leadership Teams (SLTs)