Supplemental Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
Until further notice the SHIP office will answer calls from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
The Supplemental Health Insurance Program (SHIP) is a unique package of benefits developed by the Retired Teachers Chapter of the United Federation of Teachers (UFT-RTC) exclusively for its members. It provides a supplement to coverage available through city's regular health insurance providers and is activated only after those providers have paid their benefits.
SHIP is a low-cost program to coordinate with most health plans available to retirees of New York City systems. For a modest yearly fee, SHIP will supplement certain payments provided by your New York City health coverage up to a maximum lifetime benefit of $100,000/$10,000 for pre-existing conditions.
SHIP does not require a medical examination for enrollment.
SHIP is separate from your health plan and welfare fund and therefore must be notified of any changes (i.e., death, divorce, marriage).
- SHIP booklet [effective Jan. 2012]
- SHIP benefits [effective Jan. 2018]
- SHIP claim form [effective Jan. 2018]: You may use old SHIP forms if you have them. Please read the updated instruction page before filling in claim form.
- How to file a SHIP claim form
- Notice to all Medicare eligible SHIP members
- HIPAA Privacy Act form
- SHIP premium notices for those not on automatic deduction