Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

Cumulative Absence Reserve (CAR)

This is the formal name for your bank of “sick days.” You are credited with one CAR day on the 16th of each month of the school year, for a total of 10 days for the full school year. If you are regularly appointed, you can accumulate up to 200 CAR days during your career. Unused sick days that accumulated as a per diem substitute, a paraprofessional or in a per session activity will be transferred to your CAR when you are regularly appointed. If you are called for military duty, you will be credited with the same sick leave allowance (one CAR day on the 16th of each month) that you accumulated when you are at school. However, you do not accrue days in your CAR when you are on an approved sabbatical or leave of absence without pay.

When you leave the DOE, you will be reimbursed for half of your unused days at the rate of 1/200th of your salary at departure per day. You will be paid in three equal installments; at two months, 14 months and 26 months following the date of resignation, retirement or termination. Your payroll secretary can direct you to the forms you must file to receive this money. You must file these forms within six years of your resignation, retirement or termination.

If you are ill but have exhausted all the days in your CAR, you may submit a request in writing to borrow 20 additional sick days. If these have not been replenished by the time you retire or resign, the DOE can deduct money from your termination pay to cover that cost at your current salary. If you are not entitled to termination pay or if your termination pay is less than what is owed, the DOE will send you a bill for the amount owed. Ask your payroll secretary about the various ways you can pay back this time.

You can see more details about CAR in Article 16A of the contract or see our Q&A on CAR days.