The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education at CUNY is offering the Leap to Teacher program for paraprofessionals interested in continuing their higher education. Leap to Teacher is a program that provides academic and administrative support services to paraprofessionals working for the DOE to pursue their education further and advance their careers in teaching or any other field of study. Students can enroll in the undergraduate (bachelor’s) or graduate (master’s) programs at four of CUNY's senior colleges, Brooklyn College, College of Staten Island, Lehman College and Queens College.
Undergraduate Programs: Take advantage of the DOE tuition vouchers for up to six credits per semester including summer for eligible UFT members and DOE Employees. Students can earn up to 18 credits per year.
Graduate Programs: Learn about the special opportunities for graduate applicants interested in a Master’s of Science degree in a shortage area (the BOCES, Project I-Care, and Teach Grants, if eligible) and DOE tuition reimbursement up to the cost of 12-24 graduate credits for eligible paras.
The program: (services may vary by campus)
- Helps paraprofessionals and other UFT members prepare for and enter college
- Offers free CUNY entrance exams preparation courses
- Provides Enhanced Math and English courses with alternative undergraduate admission criteria
- Provides pre-admission advisement
- Assists with financial aid, special grant opportunities, and DOE voucher processing
- Provides academic advisement from admission through graduation
- Offers tutoring, writing support, and additional academic workshops
- Offers career advisement
- Provides information about NYS requirements for teacher certification
- Offers free NYS teacher certification exam preparation workshops and courses