To be productive, we must figure out how to make the most of our time. Anyone who works in a demanding setting knows that effective time management is a key to success.
There are ways to set yourself up for a more productive and better school year ahead. Here are some tips:
- Prioritize what is most important to accomplish each day. It can be a small task and a big win at the same time.
- Structure your time with a rhythm that matches your own, so you have more intense periods of work when you are at your sharpest, followed by less challenging work.
- Minimize multi-tasking. Although often praised, multitasking results in lower productivity, according to many studies. Try focusing on one task at a time, to the extent you are able.
- Build some fun into your workday. Bring creative and playful energy to the tasks at hand. Think of new ways to do or structure repetitive assignments.
- Theme your days. In a workweek of varied responsibilities, it’s helpful to have an overall direction for each day.
- Create bonds that make work meaningful. Be mindful of the importance of strong social connections with your colleagues. Those connections can help everyone achieve greater success and enjoy a more harmonious workplace.
- Adopt a growth mindset that will help you achieve. Attitude is a key factor in how we experience the world. Many people have a fixed mindset and believe their talents and intelligence, not hard work and effort, determine what they can achieve. A growth mindset will help you embrace new challenges and look for opportunities to learn and grow.
- Practice self-care. To avoid burnout, make sure you get enough sleep and carve out time to do things you enjoy, whether that is reading, having dinner with friends, exercising, exploring something new or engaging in your own creative passions.
The UFT Member Assistance Program offers short-term counseling and outside referrals to help you deal with a wide range of issues. You can contact MAP by calling 212-701-9620 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments and referrals are available Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Related Topics: Member Assistance Program