Skip to main content
Full Menu

How do I change licenses? What are the consequences of doing so?

In order to change a license/appointment, you must have the certificate needed for the new appointment and a principal’s recommendation to fill a vacancy in the new area. Teachers who change their license/appointment area go back on probation for at least three years if they are tenured in the previous area and four years if they were not tenured. There is also an effect on seniority for excessing and layoff. Be very careful about making this kind of change, especially when budgets may necessitate layoffs and excessing. Speak to your UFT chapter leader or borough office before deciding.