Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu


If the police should arrest you in school for any reason, work-related or not, you or your chapter leader should immediately contact your district representative, who will contact the UFT's central office for assistance. You should give the UFT representative the name, phone number and precinct of the arresting officer along with any other details you have regarding the arrest. If you are arrested at school or for something work-related and you notify the UFT, the union will provide a criminal attorney to represent you up to and through any arraignment. If you are arrested (regardless of whether it is work-related), you must immediately notify your principal and the Office of Personnel Investigations in writing, by email at (see Chancellor’s Regulation C-105). If you are arrested for any actions arising out of the disciplining of a student, you should immediately seek legal representation from the city Corporation Counsel.

The Office of Personnel Investigations is part of the DOE's Division of Human Resources, which can be reached at 718-935-4000. It is located at: 100 Gold Street, Rm. 4000, New York, NY 10038