Skip to main content
Full Menu

Can staff members request that a child be initially evaluated for special education services?

A teacher, or other professional staff member, may request that a child be evaluated by completing the Request for Referral form (in SESIS). After receiving the request, the principal must take one of two actions within 10 school days: (1) request parental consent to evaluate or (2) provide the parent with a copy of the request and offer the parent the opportunity to discuss the request with the building administrator and the professional staff member who requested the referral. Additional information about professional staff members’ right to request that a student be evaluated for special education services may be found in the Request for Initial Referral section of the DOE’s Special Education Standard Operating Procedures Manual.