Safety and health for new teachers
The mission of the UFT’s Safety & Health Department is to protect UFT members from occupational hazards and to protect members’ rights when incidents happen. We do this by providing information about potential hazards; advocating on behalf of members to address unsafe conditions, safety, and student discipline issues; and collaborating with appropriate city and state agencies to enforce health and safety standards.
Please call your borough office and ask for your local health and safety representative if you need assistance with:
- An incident in your school;
- An environmental safety hazard; or
- An unsafe situation at work.
Report safety and health concerns and violations
If you know of a safety incident, report it! The UFT has an online reporting system to make it easier for members to report threats to the safety and security of staff and students.
- UFT Safety & Health Emergency Hotline: (212) 701-9407
- UFT Environmental Issues Hotline: (212) 598-9287 (Asbestos, lead, air quality, blood-borne pathogens, etc.)
- Violence Prevention Workshops: (212) 701-9413
- Information on safety issues: email@example.com
- Information on health issues: firstname.lastname@example.org