Be BRAVE Against Bullying
The UFT's BRAVE campaign aims to combat bullying in our schools. Short for Building Respect, Acceptance and Voice through Education, the BRAVE campaign provides educators, parents and students with the tools, knowledge and support to be pro-active in confronting and stopping bullying.
The BRAVE campaign provides an array of resources and tools for educators to make a positive difference in their schools.
- The union is offering a series of workshops for UFT members.
- There is online help available, from background information to lesson plans — see our Resources page.
- The BRAVE campaign also provides a hotline (212-709-3222, M-F 2:30-9:30 p.m.) for students.
- Students can also text BRAVE to 43961.
- We have buttons and bookmarks for UFT members to make the BRAVE campaign visible to students.
- Organize a workshop. Parent leaders can talk to their parent and community liaisons to find out how to bring a BRAVE workshop to their school.
- You can also contact your school's UFT Chapter Leader to find buttons, bookmarks, and other ways to show support to students.
- Be a visible ally in your school. Wear a BRAVE button. Hand out BRAVE bookmarks to students. Hang a BRAVE flyer on your door. Ask your Chapter Leader how to get buttons and bookmarks.
- Be vocal and intervene when you see bullying happening.
- Come to a workshop: contact the safety rep in your UFT borough office for information on the next workshop. (Parents: talk to your parent and community liaison.) Check out the online resources.
- Download the BRAVE flier here: English version, Spanish version.
- Print out a BRAVE poster and hang it in your school.
- Download the BRAVE Anti-Bullying Resource Guide.
- "Like" the BRAVE page on Facebook and follow the campaign on Twitter for timely updates.