Sign a petition for smaller class sizes
Dear parents and caregivers,
I hope you’re looking forward to a warm and restful Thanksgiving now that we’re able to more safely gather!
In the interest of keeping it safe to gather together in person, please join the UFT in demanding that New York City elected officials and the city Department of Education set new limits on class sizes in the wake of COVID-19. We’ve always known that reducing class size is integral to student achievement and equitable schools, but now it’s also become a public health issue.
Check out more upcoming events and news you can use below.
UFT Manhattan Parent and Community Liaison
- Saturday, Nov. 20: Parents and caregivers from all boroughs are welcome to attend the UFT Queens Virtual Fall Parent Conference from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can choose from eight workshops offered during two workshop sessions and hear from some fascinating speakers. Learn more and register.
- Starting in November: The city Department for the Aging is hosting an online Grandparent Empowerment Series of workshops that meets every week. The program is designed for grandparents who are the primary caregivers for their grandchildren and are seeking skills and support to strengthen their parenting skills during these challenging times. The program is free and participants will receive a $50 stipend. Learn more, including how to register, by checking out the flier.
News you can use
- Free vaccinations for children ages 5-11: The CDC now recommends a pediatric COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5-11. If you get your child vaccinated at a city-run or school site, the city will pay you $100. The vaccine is a safe, effective way to protect your child, family and community. Schools will host pop-up vaccination sites for students through the end of November. See the schedule »
- Apply for a $5,000 UFT scholarship: Each year, the UFT awards $1 million in scholarships to academically excellent and financially eligible New York City public high school seniors through our Albert Shanker Scholarship Fund. The deadline this school year to apply for a $5,000 scholarship is Saturday, Jan. 15. Learn more and apply »
- Virtual NYC experiences: NYC attractions, cultural institutions and entertainment venues are constantly holding online events you can enjoy from home. Find out more »