Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

Closing/Phasing Out Schools

If your school has been designated to either close or be phased out, and a new school(s) is opened in your building, the contract provides a process by which you may apply for a position in that school(s). Fifty percent of the positions available by title (teacher, guidance counselor, secretary, etc.) must be given to those who apply from your closing/phasing out school and are found to be qualified and senior.

If you do not apply, or are not selected, for a position in the new school(s), you may apply for an Open Market Transfer or become an ATR in the district/superintendency in which your school is located.

Contact your UFT borough office if you have further questions.

See what the contract says about school closings »