A new three-year pilot workday for teachers and paraprofessionals will be launched for the 2023-24, 2024-25 and 2025-26 school years under the 2023 DOE-UFT contract. Both the DOE and the UFT must agree to extend it each year after that or the configuration of time reverts back to 37.5 minutes after school for small-group instruction and tutoring Mondays through Thursday.
For single-session schools
The 155 minutes of extended time will be allocated this way in the default workday:
- 60 minutes of professional development on Mondays
- 40 minutes for Other Professional Work
- 55 minutes for parent engagement that can be done remotely
For multi-session high schools and other schools with a 6 hour, 50 minute workday
Professional activity periods reduced to four per week, with the current fifth professional activity period converted to self-directed Other Professional Work.
40 minutes of remote parent-engagement time twice per term in October, January, February and April. In these months, there will be one 40-minute faculty conference OR one 40-minute grade conference.
After-school faculty and grade conferences:
- In November, December, March, and May, there will be both one 40-minute faculty conference and one 40-minute grade conference for teachers.
- These conferences will take place before or after the school day.
Pre-approved SBO options
Chapter leaders may use the SBO process to modify the use of the 150 minutes of extended time. See the pre-approved SBO options.
New guidance on parent engagement time
- The parent engagement time can be performed remotely. It doesn’t have to be one consecutive block. Teachers and paras set the schedule for this work.
- The employee will regularly record and submit documentation identifying the remote time and activities on a paper form unless the activity occurs on a school-approved digital system that tracks the time.
- If less than the full time is taken up with parent engagement activities, the teacher or para can use the remaining time, remotely if they wish, on Other Professional Work (OPW).
New guidance on Other Professional Work
IEP conferences can be scheduled during this time.