Skip to main content
Full Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Check our FAQ on the 2020-21 school reopening for the latest updates and information.

See the FAQ

A list of the most commonly asked questions.
In my recent paycheck, salary step adjustments were made and it seems like my pay has been frozen. Why is this?

UFT instructional employees who are rated via the Advance system may have their pay frozen if they received an "ineffective"/I rating for the previous school year. Employees paid below Step 8B and who received an ineffective rating for the 2018-2019 school year will have their pay frozen on their 12/16/19 paycheck. You should have received prior notification from the DOE to your school email. If there have been overpayments, payroll will notify you and those will be recovered in January 2020.

However, if you were previously frozen due to an ineffective rating in a prior school year, but received a 2018-2019 rating of highly effective, effective, or developing, your pay will be unfrozen and restored on the 12/16/19 paycheck. The check will include any arrears due since 9/5/19.

If eligible to receive the "Hard to Staff" (HTS) salary differential, what requirements are necessary to keep receiving the differential?

If a teacher or other pedagogue earning a Hard to Staff salary differential is rated Ineffective or Unsatisfactory after the completion of their first school year (e.g. 2019-20), and they remain in an eligible position, the differential shall be frozen for the following school year (e.g. 2020-21).

If the teacher or other pedagogue then receives an Ineffective or Unsatisfactory the following school year (e.g. 2020-21), they will not receive any part of the Hard to Staff salary differential for the previous school year. If the teacher receives a rating other than Unsatisfactory or Ineffective, they shall receive the full HTS salary differential payment for the previous year the following mid-October.

What is the "hard to staff" (HTS) salary differential?

The HTS salary differential is designed to target employees in designated teaching licenses and/or other UFT-represented titles within specific schools with a salary differential for the 2019-20 school year of $7,200. The HTS salary differential is part of the Bronx Plan – a joint initiative between the DOE and the UFT to support historically underserved schools in targeted neighborhoods throughout the city.

For more information, see the website at:

What is the daily pay rate for a substitute paraprofessional?

Effective February 1, 2019, the daily pay rate for a substitute paraprofessional is $157.87 and it is based on a workday of 6 hours and 50 minutes. If a principal chooses to release the substitute para at the end of the student day, the pay will be prorated based on a 6 hour, 20 minute workday. 

Pay for substitute paras will increase on 5/14/2020 to $161.82, and effective 5/14/21, the daily pay rate will be $166.67.

What is the daily pay rate for a substitute teacher?

The daily rate of pay for a substitute teacher, effective February 1, 2019, is $188.75. Effective 5/14/2020, it will be $193.47; and effective 5/14/21 it will be $199.27. The workday is fixed at 6 hours and 50 minutes per day, inclusive of lunch.  

Where can I find my DOE employee reference number?

Your employee reference number is the seven-digit employee identification number found on your DOE pay stub. 

Is it possible to receive an electronic tax form instead of waiting for it to arrive via mail?

Department of Education employees may choose to receive their W-2, 1127 waiver and 1095-C forms electronically instead of on paper. Electronic delivery is voluntary, secure and accurate.

To choose electronic delivery, log in to your NYCAPS Employee Self-Service NYCAPS ESS account and complete the online form. You will receive an email by mid-January each year with instructions for accessing electronic W-2, 1127 Waiver and 1095-C forms. The electronic version may be printed or saved to your computer.

If you have previously chosen electronic delivery, you do not have to re-enroll. The enrollment deadline to receive electronic delivery of 2019 forms is Friday, Jan. 3, 2020. For more information and specific instructions, see the DOE memo on this subject. 

How do I change my tax deductions/withholding using ESS?


NYCAPS :  go to and log in.

Enter your USER ID (your 7-digit Employee ID /Reference Number found on your paystub.

Your temporary password consists of the last two digits of your SSN, an underscore (_), the first three letters of your birth month (must be upper case), your birth day (including the leading zero, if applicable), and the birth year (all four). 
Social Security Number: XXX-XX-XX99
Date of Birth: JANUARY 01, 1984


Once logged in, click PAY and TAX INFORMATION
then click Tax Withholdings.  

IMPORTANT NOTE:  You cannot use ESS to:

  • To claim Exempt
  • To claim 10 or more Federal allowances
  • To claim 14 or more State allowances.

(to make the changes above, skip to step 7)


Under Tax Withholdings, review your current withholdings status information. Every employee will be defaulted to a single status with no withholdings unless indicated otherwise.


Click the Change Withholdings Info Button which is toward the bottom of the page.

Note:  Tax Marital Status of "SINGLE" applies to both "Single" as well as "Married but withholding at a higher Single Rate". 


No Fields can be left blank.  At least one field must have changes in order for the form to be submitted successfully. Please note that there must be a valid reason for making changes to tax withholdings (life events). You are limited to no more than 3 changes to your withholdings per year.

If you would like to review any IRS forms, or have general inquiries about your W4, IT-2104, or tax withholdings, you can click the link at the bottom of the page to review the Office of Payroll Administration's information page.

The link says, "Additional Information and Instructions on completing W4 and IT-2104".


You can now review a summary of your election. If you are satisfied with your changes, Check The Box acknowledging that you understand and agree to the Terms and Conditions in the middle of the page, review the statements of the Employee Authorization

  • If you are not ready to submit your elections, click the Cancel button.  No changes will be made to your current tax/withholdings information.
  • If you are ready to submit and finalize your tax withholding selection, then enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number, and click Certify/Confirm in order to submit your changes.

Upon submitting your form, you will receive an email confirmation shortly.

If you make a change on a Saturday or Sunday, it will be entered into the system Monday night.  If you don't see your changes on Monday, review it within two business days (Wednesday Morning).

If you are a H-Bank/740 (an admin employee), the changes you make in NYCAPS ESS will not reflect in the system for up to TWO weeks.


DOE employees cannot use NYCAPS ESS to make the following changes:

  • claiming Tax Exempt
  • claiming more than 10 Federal allowances
  • claiming more than 14 State allowances

In order to claim the above, you submit a Personal Tax Data Change form, along with a W-4 form and IT-2104-E form and supporting documentation.  Follow these steps:

1.  Download the Personal and Tax Data Change form from the HR Connect website at the HR Connect Employee Web Portal at

Login with your Windows/Outlook User ID and password.  Then click on the "Forms" button in the "Helpful Links" box on the right.

2.  Complete the form based on the instructions provided on the form.  You must complete the entire form, as incomplete forms will not be processed.

3.  Send the completed form and supporting documents to HR Connect as indicated in the form's instructions, such as the W-4 form and/or a IT-2104, or Certificate of Affirmation to the following address:

Division of Human Resources/HR Connect
New York City Department of Education
65 Court Street
Room 102
Brooklyn, NY 11201

How do I find out what my annual salary is and how often we get paid?

Checks for appointed pedagogues and annualized paraprofessionals are issued on a semi-monthly basis, on the 15th and 30th of each month.  

You can verify your current pay by logging in to the DOE Payroll Portal:

For more information about your salary, steps and differentials, you can go to the UFT website at:

How do I apply for direct deposit?

Either through the payroll portal (, or by faxing the application and supporting documentation to 718-935-3702.